There’s been quite a bit of radio-silence on this blog for a while, but for good reason!!! We’ve been really, really wrapped up in our travels; visiting new places, returning to ones that we love, spending time on both coasts of the USA for an overdue friends and family tour, experiencing in-depth our first country in Africa, making lots and lots of new friends, and forming bonds with some of them that we know in our hearts will last forever. We’ve been living in every moment and savoring every second of our lives as travelers. Sure, there have been the rough spots here and there, but today certainly does not count as one of them. Today the sun was out for our first full day in Madrid, the temperature was a balmy 74˚, but most importantly, our little Kendley turned THREE!
We can still remember with great fondness the day you were born and most of the days in between. I hope you know that you and Ollie are, without question, the light of our lives. You are a constant source of joy and for that, we are eternally grateful.
I heard once that love’s greatest gift is its ability to make everything it touches sacred and you are that love in our family. Whether you are sucking your two little fingers, dragging your ‘gankie’ around, telling me I have been ‘naughty’, trying to wipe your own bottom, throwing a mini tantrum, telling Ollie to ‘be-quiet’, biting my nose, giving me long, juicy kisses, grabbing my neck and yelling ‘drop me and see what happens’, or just being you, you make everything and everyone around you feel better.
Traveling with you for the past two years has been an honor and a privilege. You and Ollie helped us make the difficult decision to leave our conventional lives and careers behind and I wanted to thank you for giving us the courage to do so as it was by far the best thing we have ever done. We have traveled pretty much full time since you were in Mommy’s belly and we want to continue to enjoy all the world has to offer with you by our side. We absolutely love our lives and we would not trade one second with you for anything.
Your Mommy and I are blessed to be able to see the world through your beautiful blue eyes as it has changed us in ways that you will never know. Sometimes I tell you that you are lucky to have your parents around all the time, but in reality, your Mom and I are truly the lucky ones. We could not imagine a life without you in it. We thank God everyday for the opportunity to be around you and to learn from you.
You have healed us when we were arguing and our marriage was in peril; you have calmed us when we were living in fear; you have made us smile when traveling felt like it might be too much and we began to doubt our decisions; you make us laugh everyday; you have made us feel loved in ways that are beyond compare; your spirit has wrapped us in its own warm ‘gankie’ and has guided us to places that we never though were possible; and, you have made us smile more than we ever dreamed imaginable.
Kendley’s 3rd Birthday Interview
- How old are you today? Seven years old. Are you sure about that? No, eight. Eight years old. Ok, but I think you should slow down a little. Today you’re three!
- Where are we celebrating this year? In a big city. PAIN. We’re in Pain. (Note to readers, Kendley cannot pronounce the letter ‘S’.)
- Do you remember where we were last year? I don’t know. We were in France. Oh, ok.
- Who came to your birthday party tonight? Ollie, Daddy and Mama!
- What is your favorite thing to eat in Spain? SNAILS!!! (She’s not kidding; Kendley could eat every last snail in Catalonia if someone let her try).
- What did you do for your birthday today? We opened presents and ate cake and ice cream. We went to the park and played all day. We saw a puppet show and rowed in a boat. Yes, we had a LONG, fun day in Madrid’s Parque Buen Retiro. And afterward we ate a delicious raspberry chocolate cake from the Horno de San Onofre.
- What’s your favorite thing to do? I like to play with Ollie and Daddy and Mama. I like to eat ice cream and sleep in the country. Sleep in the country? Like, go camping? Can you please clarify that? I like to paint my nails. Ok, next question…
- What’s your favorite color? Pink and purple.
- What’s the best thing we’ve done in Spain? Wear a pretty dress at Feria with my friends in Sevilla: Elsa, Cloe and Nora.
- What’s your favorite place in the whole world? My gankie. As she snuggles into blanket, curls up and falls asleep.
Goodnight, Birthday Girl! We love you!